We know that communicating your child’s needs to their school or social group can be overwhelming at times. Our Vision-Educational Advocate specializes in bridging the gap between parents and educators. We have extensive training in the area of visual development and understanding the link between vision and learning. One in four children struggle with reading and learning because of undiagnosed vision problems.
What is a Vision-Educational Advocate?
A Vision-Educational Advocate helps students achieve their full visual, social and academic potentials. This is achieved by attending school and/or social group meetings such as Section 504 Plans, Individual Education Plans (IEP’s), Boy or Girl Scouts meetings, or any other type of social group or team meeting that your child is involved in.
At these meetings we will…
- Professionally explain your child’s diagnosis and how it impacts your child’s education and social interactions.
- Provide hands on demonstrations, allowing everyone in attendance to know how it feels to see through your child’s eyes.
- Assist school personnel, leaders, or coaches to create an environment that is visually conducive to learning and enhance performance.
- Recommend various accommodations to support your child’s visual diagnosis.
- Support you and your family emotionally while acting on behalf of your child.
Why would you need a Vision-Educational Advocate?
- Are you overwhelmed with the idea of explaining your child’s diagnoses to school personnel?
- Are you confused about the difference between an IEP and a 504 Plan?
- Do you need help asking the school to make accommodations for your child?
- Are you frustrated with the lack of communication between you and your child’s school?
- Do you feel the school could do more to help your child have a meaningful education?
- Have you been denied testing for your child based on observation only?
- Do you feel your child is performing below their potential?
*If you answered YES to any of the above, please call our office to schedule a complimentary consultation.